Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why Are Some Christians So "Un-Christlike"?

Remember the firestorm that Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines caused about seven years back when she spoke out against the war in Iraq and ended by saying that she was “ashamed that the President of the United States was from Texas”?  The remark generated so much controversy that it nearly ended the group’s career.  While I was never a huge Dixie Chicks fan I couldn’t help but feel some empathy for Maines. Being a Texan is important to her; it is a proud part of her heritage.  When former President George W. Bush called for the American invasion of Iraq on what turned out to be less than reliable intelligence information there were a lot of Americans who were doubtful about that course of action.  It wouldn’t be surprising that one “proud and loyal Texan” would be embarrassed when another self-described “proud and loyal Texan” initiated an act that would ultimately draw the contempt of a large majority of the civilized world.

I find myself with similar feelings when I listen to members of the self-dubbed “religious right” opposing everything from abortion to gay marriage to the Islamic Center and mosque in New York City.  Having been a committed Christian for more than 30 years my faith represents a huge facet of my life.  But when other so-called Christians seem to use religion as a club which to beat up those with whom they disagree I tend to be ashamed to share the Christianity label with them as well.

When I was a kid in Sunday school I remember being taught that the definition of a Christian was “one who was committed to being like Christ.”  The recurring theme was that Jesus came to Earth to lead a “model life”, to show human beings “how it was done” so that by accepting Him we could ultimately receive all the blessings that God had planned for mankind (before Adam and Eve screwed it up).  But somehow, I think I missed the Bible stories about how Jesus thought it was ok to bomb abortion clinics or the parables about bashing gays and denying them their civil rights or the sermons about how everyone in America is entitled to freedom of religion unless that religion just happens to be anything besides Christianity.  I must have been sick or sleeping in or on vacation on those Sundays because I just don’t remember any of those lessons at all.

My recollection of learning to be “Christlike” is more in line with some information I found on the All About Following Jesus website.  The behavior of Jesus described here is marked by humility (Philippians 2: 5 -8), service (Matthew 20:28), a desire to glorify God (I Corinthians 10:31), a commitment to prayer (Mark 1:35) and a willingness to sacrifice (John 2:2).  I just can’t seem to reconcile angry protestors who seek to shout down anyone who disagrees with them with the picture of humility.  The “I’m right; you’re wrong so just sit down and shut up” mentality just doesn’t seem to mesh with Jesus’ assertion that “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5).  And just how, exactly does hurling crude insults at homosexuals “glorify God”?  And for the Tea Party members who want lower taxes and fewer government supports for the poor, where is the spirit of sacrifice?

Personally, I think that people who attempt to condemn others in the name of Christianity are missing the point.  Aligning ourselves with Christ does not give us license to sit in harsh judgment of others.  In Romans 3:22 – 23 (NIV) Paul writes, “This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”.  The real charge in Christianity is to address the areas in our own lives where we have “sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  I would hazard a guess that if all Christians committed ourselves to that task we would all have far less time available for sneering at the perceived shortcomings of everyone else.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment